We believe that good general practice can only be achieved by taking time to listen, to observe and to examine.
This is our commitment to you.
Click on the following to learn more about what our Medical Centre has to offer.
Women's health checks
* Pap tests are an effective way of detecting changes to the cells of the cervix. The aim is to detect and treat changes early before the development of cervical cancer. A Pap test is recommended every 2 years from the age of 18 to 70. If changes have been found then either treatment or more frequent testing may be required.
Pymble Medical & Dental Centre provides a range of reproductive and sexual health services for women and men of all ages, these include:
* Information and provision of contraception (including IUD Mirena® and contraceptive implant insertion [Implanon NXT®] )
* Emergency contraception
* Sexual health and safer sex information
* Assessment, testing and treatment of Sexually Transmissible Infections (STIs)
* Fertility assessment and referral
* Pregnancy tests, information and counselling regarding pregnancy options and pre and post natal checks
* Pap tests (cervical cancer screening) and breast awareness information
* Assessment and management of menstruation and bleeding problems
* Menopause information and management
* Referrals for vasectomy and tubal ligation
Babies' growth and development
* Baby checks (as per the Blue Book)
* Weight checks
* Breast feeding assistance and management
* Sleep and settling strategies
* Infant growth and development assessments
Shared Pregnancy Care
* Shared care provides an option for women to have some of their pregnancy care with their GP and some visits at the hospital's antenatal clinic (or midwives' clinic or birth centre). For example, you may be able to see a doctor at the surgery for your pregnancy visits, and attend the local hospital for the birth.
* Essentially, shared care with a local doctor is usually an option for women who have no pre-existing health conditions (such as diabetes) and whose pregnancies are progressing relatively normally with one baby (no twins or more). We would seek advice from an obstetric registrar or consultant at the hospital you are booked into if there were any health concerns or if complications arose. If complications do develop (such as high blood pressure, bleeding during pregnancy or the labour starting prematurely - before 37 weeks) then the woman's care will most likely be transferred from the shared care arrangement to the doctors in the hospital's antenatal clinic
* The practice stocks all necessary childhood vaccines. Our doctors can advise you of the immunisation schedule for your child and discuss any concerns you may have. At present, children are vaccinated at: 2, 4, 6, 12, 18 months of age, and finally at age 4 before entering school.
Counselling & Mental Health
* For patients with mental health disorders, your GP is able to create an individual management plan.
* This plan allows access to Medicare-rebatable services by registered psychologists and clinical psychologists.
Minor Surgery and Procedures
* This will mainly involve procedures such as stitching lacerations, removing suspicious skin lesions, draining abscesses, excision of cysts, ingrown toenail wedge excision etc. We also insert IUDs (Mirena) and hormonal implants such as Implanon.
* The practice provides a cryosurgery service. Some skin lesions, such as warts and sunspots, are commonly treated with liquid nitrogen.
Weight loss/gain advice
* Your GP can help you to achieve a healthy weight, and enjoy the health benefits that it will bring.
* Weight assessments, weight measurements, Blood glucose and pressure tests, medication, surgery assessments
* Our experienced doctors are the ones making all skin checks, reviewing images of suspicious moles and spots, as well as performing biopsies and skin cancer surgery.
* Our doctors will give you all relevant information relating to your examination and treatment, as well as send a record to your own GP. We will answer any questions relating to all relevant follow up and treatment options.
* Our medical centre will send you a reminder letter for future check ups, as well as giving you information on skin cancer prevention, self examination and skin protection.
Men's health issues
* Many men neglect their own health because of work pressures. We understand this and we would encourage men to periodically perform a health review. Our doctors are experienced in the area of men's health and are available to discuss general health issues as well as the more specific prostate and sexual issues.
* Flu vaccinations are available at the practice from March for the winter season. Flu vaccinations are provided free of charge to patients aged 65 and above as part of the Government vaccination program. We provide flu vaccinations at a cost to other patients. We also stock pneumococcal vaccinations which are provided free of cost to patients aged 65 and over - these are given twice, five years apart.
* We advise you on the medical requirements for your travel destinations and provide travel health services including vaccinations. We are also a Yellow Fever Clinic
* We can provide you with advice and support on the most appropriate method to achieve smoking abstinence.
* An electrocardiogram (ECG) is a test that records the electrical activity of your heart.
* An ECG may be performed as part of a consultation or included as part of a routine checkup in patients over 45 years of age.
Chronic disease management
* For patients with chronic medical conditions, your GP is able to put in place an individual management plan. This plan allows all members of the health team caring for a patient to be aware of all issues and needs that a patient may have. It encourages a consistent, team centred approach to management of chronic conditions. This team may involve specialists and allied health practitioners, eg. physiotherapists, podiatrists.
* Those patients who have a current GP Management plan are then able to receive rebates from Medicare when they see an allied health practitioner.
* pre-employment medicals and annual reviews, developed together with workplaces, to ensure that prospective staff members have an appropriate medical review before undertaking work.
* Drivers licence medicals are also conducted by our GPs
* As the rates of skin cancer in Australia continue growing, it is very important to be vigilant in maintaining good skin health. We encourage a regular skin check for all our patients. If any suspicious lesions are detected we are able to biopsy or excise the lesion for further assessment, or refer you to a specialist dermatologist or plastic surgeon.
* Dementia screening
* Home Medications reviews
* Over 75s Health Assessments
* Pathology services provided by Douglass Hanly Moir Pathology